“I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”
THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM FOR INFANTS
Baptism marks the beginning of a life long process of growing in our relationship with God through the beliefs, practices and prayers in the Christian community. Baptism "is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gagteway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213).
To baptize a baby, you are asked to do the following:
- Call the parish office at 407-322-3795 to schedule an appointment with Fr. Ken Metz and begin the necessary paperwork.
- Be participating members of All Souls Parish.
- Attend a Baptism Preparation Class. Classes are held in English and Spanish on the third Thursday of every other month. (See schedule below.)
- After attending the baptism class, a date may be chosen for the Baptism. Baptisms, being a sacrament of Initiation into the Church are scheduled during Sunday Masses so the Church community is present to welcome the child into the Church.
- Choose Godparents to assist you in raising your child in the faith. (See below)
- Other intricacies of the Baptismal Mass will be explained in the preparation class.
THE ROLE OF GODPARENTS
The role of the godparent is significant in the faith life of the child. Godparents are chosen by the parents. They are selected as individuals who will make certain the parents are doing all they can to raise the child in the faith.
The Godparents must meet the following requirements (Canons of the Catholic Church #’s 873 & 874):
- Godparents must be fully initiated and practicing Catholics.
- Godparents are to be over the age of sixteen.
- There may be either one or two godparents.
- If there are two godparents, there is one from each gender.
- If there is only one godparent, it may be from either gender.
- Members of other Christian churches may not be godparents but may serve as Christian witnesses as long as there is also one eligible godparent.
We look forward as a parish to assisting you in your child’s baptism and helping your family raise the child in our beautiful Catholic faith.
Class Schedule: Classes begin at 7:00 pm and are held at All Souls Catholic School. English in the Science Lab, Spanish in the TRC.
January 17, 2013; March 21, 2013; May 16, 2013; July 18, 2013; September 19, 2013; November 14, 2013